SENIOR MEDIA SPECIALIST, MITx
The Senior Media Specialist is responsible for the integration of multimedia into the design and development of online curriculum/courses at MIT. As part of the MITx Media Services Team, and working under the Manager for Media Services at MITx, the Sr. Media Specialist will collaborate with MIT faculty, Fellows, and others across the Institute to produce video and media content in support of MITx and other online educational initiatives including instructional modules, videos for promotion, and intra-office resources. The Senior Media Specialist will also advise faculty and course teams on best practices and approaches to using video in MOOCs, and play a large role in shaping creative video strategies and technical production.
- Collaborate with course teams to determine strategies for implementing media in online education, including developing creative plans, scoping and budgeting, selecting video formats, creating style guides, advising on video vendors, etc.
- Stay up-to-date on the latest educational video research regarding best practices and assist teams in developing production plans in line with this research.
- Provide production and post-production support as needed, including initial prototyping, full-service video production in studio and field, editing, color correcting, audio mixing, and motion graphics creation.
- Assist teams in the creation and management of asset-tracking systems and edit notes.
- Provide creative producing support to MITx course teams, including script development, graphic creation, and coaching of on-camera talent.
- Provide technical instruction to course teams on the production of multimedia projects, including the use of software, audio-visual equipment, and transcription services.
- Manage and facilitate communication between course teams and outside vendors including videographers, editors, graphic designers and animators.
- Manage multimedia equipment, including cameras, studio gear, audio equipment, edit bays and drives, and lender equipment.
- Create and maintain necessary multimedia documentation, including staff procedures, equipment inventories, course records, and user guides.
- Research emerging technologies, new applications and online learning tools for future recommendation and implementation.
- Organize and conduct meetings and training sessions with course teams and other academic staff to facilitate video planning and creation as needed.
- Assist MITx Media Manager on oversight of the MITx video production studio.
- Manage archival process for courses, including logging footage, video file management, metadata management, etc.
- Issue, track, and archive on-camera release forms and work with IP team to coordinate other licensing projects/issues.
- Assist Residential, Engineering, Marketing teams (and others) as needed with video production or technical solutions.
- Work with course teams to develop, implement, and analyze in-course research projects on video effectiveness.
- Bachelor’s degree in visual communications, video production, or related field.
- 4-5 years experience in busy media production environment. Academic or online-learning production experience preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe Premiere. Working knowledge of Final Cut Pro X, After Effects, Audition, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
- Advanced knowledge of digital formats, video codecs, and web delivery standards.
- Strong knowledge of studio-filming and studio lighting techniques, as well as comfort with documentary field recording.
- Experience with DSLR and professional grade camcorder cameras, and 4K video workflows.
- Strong knowledge of professional audio recording equipment and techniques including small format mixers, compression, EQ, effects processors, and multi-track and waveform editing.
- Experience using tablets and screen-capture software.
- Experience with IP, licensing, accessibility standards for online video is a plus.
- Fluency in Mac OS platform, working knowledge of Windows OS.
- Must be highly proficient in one or more of the following areas: video production and videography, non-linear editing, and/or video graphics creation.
- Exceptional customer service skills, interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Strong project management skills; ability to work on several projects at once; managing timelines, monitoring budgets, prioritizing workflows accordingly.
- Media-related training or teaching experience a plus.
- Adaptability and flexibility to succeed in an environment of change.
- Ability to communicate well with faculty, staff, and users at all levels and from diverse backgrounds.
- Interest and awareness of principles and current trends in online educational video.
- This is a temporary one year position renewable on an annual basis.
MIT is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability.